This project was aimed at establishing whether efficiency savings could be achieved by re-organising the current waste and recycling collection services in each of the municipalities located within Northamptonshire County, UK (population 650,000).
Routing of all waste collection vehicles in the County using RouteSmart® route optimisation software and identification of the resource and cost savings which might be achieved by joint working between various combinations of districts
• Waste collection route evaluation and optimisation using “RouteSmart”TM software
• Production of revised waste and recycling collection schedules for each municipal partner identifying savings
• Preparation of a report identifying options for further savings through cross-border working
• Evaluation of options for integration of collection services between two or more authorities
• Evaluation of options for full integration of collection services and steps to be taken in order for this to be implemented