CASE STUDY: CUTTING THE COST IN MILES AND CARBON FOOTPRINT
SMURFIT KAPPA GROUP IMPLEMENTS WINROUTE ROUTE PLANNING SOLUTION
Smurfit Kappa Group (SKG) is a major player in paper-based packaging with annual sales of £5 billion. Group headquarters are located in Dublin, with regional headquarters in Paris and Miami. SKG operates in 30 countries and employs 39,000 people.
SK Cartomills is a subsidiary of SKG operating from four sites in Belgium and Luxemburg. The characteristics of the business are:-
- a wide range of products produced specifically according to customer requirements;
- quick response times; and
- specialised production at each site.
Every day, 100 truck deliveries are made to European destinations. In carrying out the transport operation, the main objectives are to reduce costs, improve customer service and minimise carbon footprint.
As part of a project to improve transport efficiency, SKG looked at various software solutions and, following a competitive selection process, WinRoute was chosen against competition such as Ortec.
WinRoute was selected as the best solution for the following reasons:-
- Best at dealing with planning and business constraints such as:
- multi-depot planning: a vehicle can pass through different depots, e.g. in order to consolidate loads for one customer;
- taking account of delivery time windows and the availability of products;
- managing flexible delivery dates.
- Produces the best results. Benchmarking tests based on data for a representative week have shown that the WinRoute solution provides better results than previous systems. It is even more effective when dealing with a larger number of business rules (e.g. multi depot, flexible delivery date, etc).
- The back-up and support offered by the WinRoute supplier.
In practice, WinRoute has identified annual savings of circa 10% (or €500,000) and improved levels of service, matching or exceeding project objectives. The WinRoute routes have proven to be practical, achievable and are improving performance in respect of time windows. The reduction in carbon footprint is significant and is estimated at 215 t/year.
Industry leaders depend on WinRoute for achieving maximum efficiency through route optimisation software solutions. Global and national operations such as Fridays, Vetspeed, SITA, DX and S&S Distribution know that every minute and every mile counts. That is why these organisations rely upon WinRoute for precise routing via a toolset that is continually being refined.
WinRoute is part of the Descartes range of products and ISL is a Descartes (www.descartes.com) partner. Integrated Skills Limited is the UK’s foremost optimisation software specialist, having applied software solutions to numerous vehicle-based operations in the waste & recycling and logistics sectors.
For further information contact Alan Paget, Sales & Marketing Director at ISL.
Integrated Skills Limited, Rownhams House, Rownhams, Southampton, SO16 8LS
Tel: 07875 126 666
About Integrated Skills Limited
Integrated Skills, operating out of Romsey near Southampton, is a specialist provider of routing and route optimisation software, smartphone & tablet solutions, environmental management software, highways management software as well as environmental consultancy in the following sectors:
- Environmental service operations
- Highways service operations
- Parcel & post
- Newspaper deliveries
ISL is a partner of ESRI for the ArcGIS platform.
For further information contact email@example.com.